Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Through the years...

Today is one of the days during the year that I look back and have so many memories.  Today is a day when I miss being a kid again :)  I remember waking up in the morning every time this day rolled around and being so excited!  It didn't matter what was going on that day, I knew that the evening was going to be special and full of fun.  It was my birthday after all ;)
I loved sharing "my" day with my twin brother.  It made things twice as fun!  We had a lot of traditions...
Every year we got to pick our birthday dinner.  I can't remember how we worked it when it come to Jonathan and I because I always remember having Swedish Meatballs, which I know was my pick.  I'm not sure if my memory only covers the meals I picked or if that was Jonathan's favorite as well.  LOL  Who knows!  
We also got to pick a special cake from this awesome cake book Mom had.  There were all kinds of cakes in there.  I remember a plane, a cake, a princess, a block ( oh that dreaded block!), a train...I know there were a lot more but I remember those :)  I think the one I remember the best was the princess cake.  It was 3d, it was kinda like a half circle but tallish.  Mom frosted the cake and then lined the cake with colored marshmallows.  She took one of my barbies and wrapped her legs in plastic wrap, and jammed her into the cake.  I remember worrying that she would never come clean ;)  Every year she made us each a cake.  As we got older, both Jonathan and I grew out of the cakes and started wanting pies.  Jonathan always asked for Blueberry Cream cheese Pie ( I think that was what it was called) and I always had a peach pie. Grandma and Grandpa would come up for dinner and desert and then we would open presents.  
It's so real, like it was yesterday.  I have to remind myself that I'm an adult now and those days are past!   LOL
I'm so grateful for memories like that today!  Although it makes me miss my family and spending the day together, the 6 of us and have Grandma and Grandpa with us as well.  
As an adult, I have made an executive decision to move my birthday this year.  Doug won't be able to make it home tonight, and the girls have no clue, so we are going to postpone it and celebrate it tomorrow when we are all together :)  
I'm so thankful for where I am today.  I'm so thankful for the family God has blessed me with.  I have 3 wonderful brothers, and 5 wonderful sisters (including in-laws).  He has blessed with an amazing husband, who is my soul mate and best friend.  He has given me 2 children and plenty of other rugrats to love.  He has given me amazing friends who care and love me, even at my worst.  
Today I'm thankful!