Thursday, November 15, 2012

Open House at Demkos :)

Last week we went to an open house at a bigger farm that we have in the area.  They built a new calf facility with automatic feeders.  Even though we aren't farming anymore, I was curious about how they set it up and I knew the kids would love going and playing with the babies.  So we took off.  
This is the "milk" house where the milk is stored for the automatic feeding.  
They feed pasteurized milk to their babies instead of milk replacer. 

And here is the facility itself.  I couldn't get over how clean it is, and Doug has been back since for work to be done there and its still clean so it wasn't just for the open house ;)



These are the automatic feeders.  Each calf has a chip in her ear and that black "dish" reads the chip. (or at least that is what we are guessing) They keep track of how much each calf is drinking so they know if one drops off feed or whatever.  





And of course they have full access to unlimited grain and water as well.



The kids loved the calves as much as the calves loved the kids :)




Here's a better look at what the calves see walking up to the machine...

I couldn't get over how accustomed the calves here were.  They weren't bothered by all the people in there, just went right about their business.  



I think the kids would have stayed there all day if I let them!

One of my favorite calves!  
I definitely have a thing for calves with white faces with unique markings ;)


See her electronic tag?

Lucas was very curious about how they were eating.




Josiah too!  And I adopted another kid for a while :)




Madalyn said I needed to take a picture of her and "her" calf.




Still curious how these things work!




He definitely thinks like his Dad from the stories I have heard from when Doug and him were growing up together!

Another one of my favorites!  Isn't she adorable?





Lots of friends...




Marissa and her herd!

Look at them all lined up...











Josiah started getting chilly so I finally had to tell them we had to go with promises that we could talk to John and Jean and go back to visit again!  The kids went home with chocolate milk, popcorn, and slimy coats :)

Enjoying some milk!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like cows' eye <3