Monday, March 2, 2015

Back to the drawing board...

Sunday, after the morning service, we came home and got ready for a road trip.  We dropped the dogs off at Doug's parents (so thankful for their willingness to help out!) and headed to Rochester to take Piper for a play date with Ruby.  I'll admit I was pretty confident about it.  It was so perfect and I just felt God's hand was in the whole situation.  We took the two dogs for a walk when we got there.  Ruby was pretty unsure right from the get go, but we got them walking well together so we decided to test inside.  We spent 2 hours there and pulled them apart at least 5 times.  I tried every dog training tool I know, but in the end there were a lot of factors that made it a poor decision.  She would have been loved and cared for there for sure, but it was not in the best interest of Piper or Ruby to let their issue play out.  So we are back to the drawing board.  It was really nice to see Ruby again and spend some time with her.  She is well loved and spoiled rotten ;)  THAT makes me happy!  So it wasn't a complete loss.  We left disappointed for sure, and there were tears shed on their end because Ruby just wouldn't have it.  We prayed about it, they prayed about it, and in the end it just wasn't God's plan.  So she is sticking around for a while.  As of right now we have no game plan.  I added her back to my website as available.  We have a vet visit for some vaccinations next week and I'll be letting them know where we are sitting so they can keep their ears open for me.  For now she has a great home and is spoiled here.  We just have to be patient and wait for things to play out.  
Unfortunately due to how things went yesterday, we are going to have to be careful that it didn't cause a fear in Piper with other small/medium new dogs.  Fear can lead to aggression and that is definitely something we want to avoid.  So we have a new training thing to work on with her and some socialization to continue so that we don't end up with a fear aggression.  
I've always liked a challenge ;)

No comments: