Thursday, September 16, 2010

Homeschooling so far...

I love it and I think Marissa would agree!  I think I would be very frustrated if I didn't have a Mom who is working in the Kindergarten class in the public school system.  It's the comments from others that drive me insane!  LOL  Anyhow, she is learning a lot more here at home than she would be if she was in a classroom, so I feel good about that!  
Week 1, we learned the letter A and numbers 0 and 1.  We worked on hand coordination and following instructions.  She is learning Psalms 100 with the curriculum I'm using, and yes, the whole chapter!  So far she is doing awesome!
Week 2 so far we have learned the letter M and the number 2.  We have our good days and bad days, but overall, very good.  She is proud of what she is learning and I'm so happy to be able to be the one to teach her.  
One thing we are struggling with is retention.  She has already improved from the first day, but its still something I'm keeping my eye on.  She does good now answering questions after a story, but a hour later answering a question Daddy may ask her...you can forget it.  I'm not sure if its one of those things that she just doesn't care because its not school anymore, or if she doesn't remember for some reason.  The beginning of every morning we start out with small reviews and she generally does well with those.  So who knows.  I love the curriculum though and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a complete program for homeschooling.  
Here are some pictures from yesterday.  They are making MULES!  
(And Madalyn was in a wacky mood and begged for pictures to be taken of her...LOL)







 Marissa made this too.  Its hard to tell, but its a large and small M. 

3 comments:

Me said...

Looks like you're off to a great start! Keep us posted - I love to see how they learn. I'm sure her retention is fine, she prolly just needs practice. . . she IS pretty young, still - even for being so smart!

Kendall said...

How fun!! Sounds like things are going great, so far! I hope they go as great for us next year(and this) and that they continue to go well for you. I agree with "me." I'm sure her retention is fine and is just in need of some fine tuning. Then again, I know that sometimes I can read the girls a story and I don't remember something that they do! It may just be that whatever you/dad is asking her wasn't something she found important or interesting. :) Keep it up! Great job!

jeremy and lenore diviney said...

You go homeschooling mama! I was homeschooled from fourth grade on. played softball at the local school. loved every minute. thought it a shame and also hilarious that when I went to community college they couldn't believe how "normal" I was. OMGOODNESS. =) trinity is six and still gives me blank looks if I ask her a question 10 minutes after the fact. It will get better with practice.