Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Never Alone



Psalms13 (KJV)

1.  How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
 2.  How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
 3.  Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
 4.  Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
 5.  But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
 6.  I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.


In this psalm, the writer found himself feeling so alone, so seemingly abandoned by God.  He was plunged into a deep depression and despair that took him so far down. He was wrestling with his thoughts. His sorrow was overwhelming.
I know I can relate to these feelings and I'm sure you can as well. Perhaps you know what it's like when your thoughts are whirling around in aching confusion. You may know what it's like to plead with God for light, for peace, for an alternative to the spiritual death you think is right around the next corner.
Then comes the "but." The psalmist, even as he was suffering terribly, stopped himself with that little word. David chose to trust in God's goodness even when his heart was failing and grieving.  Because he knew God, he chose to trust in God's unfailing love and rejoice even in the midst of sorrow.
Did you get that? He said, "But . . . I will" (verses 5-6). The psalmist made a choice. He made a conscious decision to trust in God's love even when the dark clouds of fear, hurt and depression seemed to hide God's face.
David knew this as a fact. And you know it too: You are never alone. God is always nearby . . . even when you can't see his face or feel his presence. When you feel alone, call out to him. No matter how you feel, the fact remains: He is here. He is everywhere. And He hears your cries.
As life gets harder and the daily pains and stresses overwhelm us, we need to cling to the fact that God remains the same.  He is still here.  Take some time to spend with Him and reconnect.  The best way to start your day is with Him.  He is the only one who can carry you through the day :)

No comments: