Monday, September 19, 2011

Going out on a limb here...

Ok, I'm fore-warning you all that this is a personal post.  I'm not sure I have any male readers but...you have been warned!  LOL :)




For some time now I have been looking for a new way to handle my "that time of the month" needs.  I usually use tampons, can't handle pads, and have been looking for a healthy alternative.  I'm super sensitive to UTI's and it seem like every month I get that feeling like I may be starting one up.  I can't necessarily blame it on the tampons, but they can't be helping any.  So anyhow... I have been eyeing up The Diva Cup for a while, but couldn't muster up the courage to try it.  That is until a friend and I got talking and she mentioned that she uses one!  Thats all it took!  I'm such a sucker, I know.  

Well I'm happy to report that I too love it. 
It's not as gross as I anticipated.  It's handy.  It's cleaner feeling.  It's comfortable.  

I do realize it's not for everyone, but for those of you who may have been searching, who are trying to become more "green", or who may have never even considered it but are open, I just thought I would possibly give you the encouragement you needed to try something new! 

The huge plus is that it's a money saver!  
You can use it for however long you are comfortable using it before replacing but the company recommends every 1-2 years.  Even when doing that you are saving bundles!  

Be brave like me and try it...I promise you won't regret it!  :)

If you decide you want to get one of your own, you can find out more information on them at the Diva Cup website, and you can buy one the cheapest at Amazon.  (I can't give you a direct link because there are different options depending on whether or not you have had a child, your age, or whether or not you want the wash with it.)



4 comments:

Kendall said...

Yay!! Glad you love it! I am planning on getting one of those at some point in the near future. Need to talk to DH about it, first! Until I get one, I use Instead...they're disposable cups, just like the Diva and about the same price as tampons, but you use less per cycle. :)

Sarah Benedict said...

I have never heard of those! Doug wasn't sure about it to begin with but you save so much that he said go for it! I don't go cheap on tampons so I spend roughly $12 a cycle. So I will quickly pay for mine!

S said...

I've been using a diva cup since I got my cycle back after Galilee was born. I am making myself a bunch of cloth panty-liners as back up (I sometimes leak with the cup) out of old flannel receiving blankets and a sweatshirt. I mean, we use cloth diapers, we went paperless in the kitchen... it only makes sense to continue the trend, lol. Glad you like it. I especially love that I can leave it in for up to 12 hours (especially when I'm at work... sometimes I don't have time for potty breaks!)

S said...

Oh! and I bought mine at a food co-op store for almost $40! I can't believe amazon sells them for $26! Sooo much cheaper!