Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Suckered in again...

Why do I have such a big heart? I brought another kitten home from the barn last night after I revived her. Her mother has a track record for not being such a terrific mother. She tried burying her in the sawdust pile. I heard her crying when we first got to the barn and tried to return her to her mother, but she promptly took her back to the sawdust and shoved sawdust on top of her. She returned to her favorite sleeping spot and left her alone. Before I left the barn I checked in on her. She was cold and limp and I was pretty sure she was dead, but we revived some this winter that were abandoned that were even stiff. So I started rubbing her. It took about 5 minutes before she was breathing on her own with out being rubbed. Then I gave her to Marissa to keep warm until we were ready to leave. She has livened up alot since we have had her home. She nurses well and squirms around. Dad called me this morning and apparently she had another kitten last night. This makes a total of 4 with 2 of them dead and then the one we saved. We will see if she keeps that one. Her last batch she ditched her live baby and kept the dead one. She is an odd mother that's for sure. If she keeps the baby she has right now, I might try returning this one to her. But for now she is thriving and I'm hoping I can find a home for her since she is a female. If not it will be nice and warm and she can go back to the barn at 6-8 weeks old. Well here she is anyhow. She is less than 24 hours old. Marissa has named her Ashleigh since the calf that she named that last week didn't make it.

No comments: