Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Our "Little Boy in a Doggie Suit"



I'll never forget the day I walked into the Morrisville western horse barn for team tryouts and saw the cutest black puppy being taught how to dig a hole in the barn's dirt floor.  It was the fall of 2003.  When I found out it was Doug's puppy I was determined to get him as often as possible.  I snuck him in Jess and my dorm room in book bags, sweatshirts, pretty much whatever we could find.  He peed in my bed, waking me up to that warm feeling, scattered our garbage all over our dorm room many times, and destroyed many stuffed animals.  But I loved him.  When Doug and I moved past the best friend status and onto the relationship status, Case and my relationship only intensified.  He went everywhere with us and we loved it.  In May 2005, we brought Marissa home to him.  He took on the "big brother" role and tried sharing his toys with her and protected her from everyone and everything.  He was always patient with both girls, and all the other kiddos we have had at the house.  As the years have gone by it was hard to watch my little boy getting older.  We tried to prepare ourselves for that day.  Nothing could prepare us.  I know we made the right decision...he is done suffering.  But man this is hard.  I look for him everywhere, I expect to see him laying in his normal places.  But he isn't there.  They say this gets easier as time goes on.  I hope so.  Right now I just want my boy back...


I forgot to add that our next door neighbor came over with these beautiful flowers and a card and had a good cry with us.  So thankful for her!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(gulp)