Friday, October 16, 2009

School is right around the corner

I'm one of those weird Mommy's that didn't want to send their child to Preschool. I'm not in any hurry for her to grow up, and I think she could use some more maturity before spending that much time without me and instead with a bunch of worldly children. That being said I have no plans of sending her or Madalyn to school anyhow. I'm not entirely impressed with the school system around us and seeing as Doug and I were both home schooled, it doesn't concern us one bit. Even though we aren't really doing any "school work" right now, there are days where the girls are just itching to do something special and they love making projects. So I came up with the idea to work on the letters of the alphabet and their sounds with the girls. We make a project that corresponds with the letter we are working on. We started out with "A" for "Alligator".
This one is Marissa's
And this one is Madalyn's

Then we moved onto B. We had just gotten a bunch of arts and crafts supplies so the girls were anxious to use some of the stuff. So instead of an animal, we just made a regular old B and I let the girls decorate that.
This one is Marissa's
And this one is Madalyn's

Next we tackled "C" for "Caterpillar". As a kid we made these egg carton caterpillars and then I made them with the kids I used to babysit before going to college. So naturally I had to make them with my kids too! They are so much fun! This was one project that Madalyn had conquered and Marissa struggled with. Madalyn loves to make a mess no matter what she is doing. So she was like scooping the paint on the egg carton. Marissa was trying so hard to be careful and precise. They both did a great job though!

Madalyn's work area
Marissa's work area
Madalyn's Caterpillar
Marissa's Caterpillar
Madalyn's Caterpillar
Marissa's Caterpillar

After "C", we moved onto "D" for "Donkey". The girls had fun coloring them and then gluing them together. Madalyn needed help from me, but Marissa made her's all by herself and even used some of her own common sense when putting it together!
Sticking on the "D"
Coloring
Marissa's Donkey
Madalyn's Donkey

3 comments:

Me said...

Looks like school is HERE to me! Your letter projects are great, I bet the girls are having so much fun over there! Are you using a workbook? Those animals look too nice and perfect to be drawn by hand... I love the caterpillars!

Kendall said...

How cute!! It looks like you're up to your eyeballs in glue, markers, and pretty soon all sorts of craft projects!
I agree...where DID you get that stuff?? I'd love to have an actual "book" or something to help me with the girls on the days where I just don't feel like hovering making sure that it's done semi-properly so they understand what they're doing!

Sarah Benedict said...

The ideas are from my head...and the animals minus the caterpillar are just templates from the internet.