Monday, June 12, 2017

Black Fly Challenge!

Before I continue on with my other posts, I have to blog about this while it's fresh in my mind. 
Saturday we did probably the craziest thing we have ever done.  With the support of a lot of people, Doug, Matt Schindler, and I headed up to Indian Lake for a 40.5 mile bike race.  None of us had ever done anything like this before and although we ride quite a bit, our longest ride was about 15 miles.  
It was INSANE!  
894 bikers competed and 812 finished...
I've never seen so many bikes in one place and honestly, before viewing this picture and the FB live feed, it didn't seem that insane.  When you are actually there, you can really only see the couple hundred bikes around you.  
I'm very grateful to Doug's Mom and my Mom for coming along to be our support team, watch the girls, take pictures, and cheer for us.  It really meant a ton to us!


Waiting for the lining up to start was the worst....we had to be there early to get our numbers and such, but then you have way too much time to think LOL!


Lining up...

Starting our tracking app...






I love this picture of us!  I'm honestly shocked Mom was able to get a good one...the puking feeling was pretty real at this moment.


Here goes nothing!

Mom almost got run down getting this picture, but I LOVE it!






The Grandmas spoiled the girls for sure!  They had a blast!







Doug was the 1st one of our group to cross the finish line with a time of 3:40:56.  
He placed 665th out of 894.  I'm so proud of him! 


Matt was the next one to come with a finish time of 4:06:02.  He placed 749th out of 894.
He did amazing!!!


And then came me...with a finish time of 4:09:23 and 757th out of 894.


 Honestly, we had a ton of fun and were really surprised that we had no issues moving Sunday morning.  All 3 of us are planning on doing it again next year and can't wait for it.  I'm not sure about the guys, but I underestimated the amount of mental that goes into a race like this.  I wasn't shocked by the difficulty, but the mental part definitely surprised me.  
Thanks again to all those that were encouraging, supportive and all the prayers and phone calls we got.  You all mean a ton to us!

We even got my favorite color shirts for riding!