Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Homeschool Field Trip

Last week, we headed to Fort Stanwix in Rome for a homeschool field trip!  

It was FREEZING cold and I had never been, so in hind sight I wished we would have all dressed warmer, except the baby that I brought with me!  The kids LOVED it though.  Our tour guide was excellent and I thought he did a great job with the kids.  I forgot my camera of course, so a friend of mine took some of the girls for me!  When we first got there, we went into a "cabin" and he showed us what the different girls and boys at different age levels would have worn.  

Then we moved outside and talked about water some and how they didn't have running water.  They he talked about fire fighting and how since they didn't have running water, they had to do a bucket brigade.


And so the kids  did a real live bucket brigade!!!  It was about 45 degrees I bet and I'm thinking as he is lining all these kids up that there is no way he is going to fill the buckets due to the fact that, you know, it's cold out and they are kids.  Which means they are going to end up SOKED!  However, he did in fact give them buckets of real water and they really did the brigade and really put out the fake fire.  :)  AND EVERYONE stayed DRY!  LOL  



Then he took them over to a cart and talked about some of the old toys that they might have had to play with.  This was by far the kids favorite toys and I seriously think that the kids today if they weren't so into electronics would LOVE these ancient toys!


She did such a good job!

Marissa waiting for a partner....

Elijah to the rescue!  They did such a great job!


Marissa hard at work back there!

Jacob's ladder...

She did it!

No comments: