Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Encouraged

Sunday we had a missionary visit our church.  Usually I don't get to here them because I am always teaching Junior Church.  However, this Sunday, we had a dinner and a second service following the dinner.  So I actually got to here him!  He did a message on God't timing.  He talked about how our motives can be good, great even.  However, if they are done in our timing and not God's we will not have peace about them.  He talked about how when he started in the ministry, things were laid in his lap that seemed to be a God thing.  He still isn't sure whether they were or weren't but regardless, God let me go through those moves.  Then he started applying for jobs to allow him to get overseas and begin his ministry without the help of deputation.  After apply for different jobs for over a year and struggling with his lack of peace, he tried to attach his resume to one last job posting.  He tried twice and failed twice and then a lighting bolt struck his house and fried the computer.  In his words, he said he was fairly certain God fried his computer and told him enough is enough.  
It was a day of encouragement for me.  When we first started this process, I thought for sure God would sell the house right off.  I even said plenty of times, I know God will sell it because there is no way that it is His will for Doug and I to live separately.  Well here we are almost a year later and we are still sitting in the same boat.  I have had people tell me that I needed to exercise "True faith" and just pick up and move and God will fill in the pieces.  However, unlike our missionary, Doug and I have peace.  Is this what we want 100% of the time?  No.  There are plenty of days where I feel I know what is best and if only He would listen, I could set Him straight!  Through this whole process, God has taught me patience.  I didn't think I was ever going to learn it, but I have, at least somewhat.  I have no idea what our future holds, nor do I need to know.  What I do know is that we are where God wants us for right now.  And until He opens a door and shows us otherwise, we will continue to be faithful to Him even in the "dark" times.  

Philippians 4:11 
"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, 
therewith to be content."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil 4:13...."I have LEARNED" You are right up there with Paul <3

Sarah Benedict said...

Phil 4:11 and I definitely wouldn't go that far! :)