Friday, November 4, 2011

Homemade laundry soap

Ok, so I know what you are all thinking - "This lady has really gone off her rocker now!"
I had my reservations when I first heard of it to.  That being said, I did some research and found out that I would be saving a ton of money!  It costs me .71 cents to make 2 gallons worth of soap and that calculates out to about .01 cents per load!  Awesome right?  Wait, there is more!  It's soooo easy to make too!  Ready to find out how to make your own?  Here goes ~

You will need - 

1/2 cup of Washing Soda (not to be confused with Baking Soda)


1/2 cup of Borax powder


1/3 of a bar of Fels-Naptha


All of the ingredients can be found right at Walmart, all together in the laundry isle in between the bleach and the fabric softener.

You will also need a 2 gallon bucket.

First grate your Fels Naptha soap and put it in a sauce pan.  Add 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts.  Add the Washing Soda and Borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Poor 4 cups of hot water into your bucket.  Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.  Let the soap sit for 24 hours and it will gel.  Use 1/2 cup per load.

***The finished soap will not be a solid gel.
***This soap is low sudsing so if you are someone who checks your laundry while its washing, don't freak if you don't see bubbles.  Trust me, your laundry is still getting clean!
***This soap has a natural clean smell but for those of you that may prefer scent to your laundry you can add 1/2 to 1 oz of essential oil to scent.
Enjoy!!!      

6 comments:

April said...

I don't think you are crazy at all!!! (HI! I go to church with your Mom :) ) I've been wanting to try this and have to hit Walmart this weekend so I think I'll pick up the stuff to do it! Where did you get the 2 gallon bucket?

Me said...

I've been making my own laundry detergent in the same way for a couple of years now. . . except that I prefer to grate the soap and make a powdered version. I've also switched from naptha to a non-scented, more natural soap (which costs just a bit more, but not much). It's fast, easy, cheap, and works GREAT! Kudos to you for finding another way to pinch pennies!

Sarah Benedict said...

I got the bucket at Walmart I think...you can use anything, is just needs to be able to hold a bit over 2 gallons so you have room to stir :) And Hi April :) I've heard alot about you!

April said...

Walmart was all out of Borax this weekend :( Bummer! I'll check back since I'm on my last for soap! I'd much rather make the powdered version though...so I'm curious how to do that!

April said...

http://www.myearthgarden.com/2010/08/simple-homemade-laundry-detergent-powder/ I found this! I'm going to try this instead! I like the powder so much more than the liquid now. I can't wait!

Sarah Benedict said...

Cool! Maybe I'll have to try that eventually!